- QUALITY COMPONENTS -
The pride from all the craftsmen at SJC that goes into each handcrafted build is met with equal quality, proprietary, and road-worthy components. We use only the finest materials and methods to ensure our drums are unparalleled in quality. With seemingly endless ways to customize them, you can truly design your drums to be an extension of your personality!
The experience you get from us is super important, and we want to make sure from the moment you speak to us, to the day your dream arrives, and you're playing them with passion, that your expectations are exceeded.
Check out the proprietary, quality components we use on all custom builds:
Our proprietary M5 shell consists of 5 alternating vertical & horizontal plies of 100% North American maple. This layup offers enhanced resonance, tonal stability, and ease of tuning. Specific inner-ply thickness increases as you move from the rack toms to the floor toms, kick drum, and snare, creating complete balance of both feel and sound around the entire kit. The increase in ply thickness means there are less plies and glue that make up the shell, leaving you with a powerful and sonically rich tone suitable for any style, gig or session. These shells are versatile, resonant, full of attack and body.
*Standard on all 10” to 24” Maple custom drums
- 5-ply 13"& 14" snares = 8.3mm
- 5-ply 10", 12", 13", 14" toms = 5.5mm
- 5-ply 16" & 18" toms = 5.7mm
- 5-ply 20", 22", 24" bass drums = 7.0mm
Smooth and rich midrange with warm lows. Mahogany is a very resonant wood type with a vintage tone character.
Bright highs with punchy low end. Birch is a dense tonewood that cuts through the mix with crisp top end and slightly scooped mids.
Strong attack and presence, with even highs, mids and lows. Acrylic produces a more focused tone than wood shell types, often described as a "fat" tone.
*Available in Coke bottle green, amber, yellow, ruby red, clear, smoke black, vistalite blue, navy blue, green, purple, neon pink, neon green, neon orange, solid white, solid black
Metal shells *for snares
Aluminum: Crisp and dry tone with increased volume. Aluminum typically has a shorter sustain than other metal shell types and cuts through mixes with ease.
Steel: Bright tone with a resonant sustain. Crisp highs, colorful overtones and increased volume help steel snare drums penetrate through any mix.
* Only Available for Snare Drums
We also offer a variety of exotic woods and custom shells - inquire with your Artist rep about your needs, and we'll make sure to accomodate!
Precision cut and hand-honed bearing edge options:
- Maximum attack and versatility
- 45-degree cut with a slight back bevel
- Apex Location: M5 located on outermost ply / Series located on 2nd from outer ply
- Precision machined and hand honed
- Checked and honed to ensure flatness (accurate within .0001 of an inch)
- More body with less articulation and attack
- Great for vintage style drums
- 1/4" Roundover w/ 30-degree inside bevel
- Maximizes head contact
- Hand cut and honed to ensure flatness
All our bearing edges are precision cut, hand-honed, and checked on a granite slab for flatness (accurate within .0001 of an inch) which gives you the best tone, resonance and easy tuning
Our proprietary diecast, springless Shield Lug is the standard lug we use on all of our drums. They offer great tuning stability and adjustability. We designed these without springs to keep them quiet when you’re in the studio. All lugs come with gaskets to protect the finish on the shell.
- Lugs can be aligned vertically or at a 50% offset.
- We offer tube lugs at a slight upcharge and extended lead time, ask your Artist rep for more info
Our drums are drilled for accuracy which helps your drums stay in tune longer
- Precision machined with +/- .002in accuracy (less than a human hair)
- Straight and accurate component placement makes tuning easy
- Consistency ensures all components fit properly without any added stress on the shell
2.3mm & 3.0mm Metal Hoops
2.3mm triple-flanged steel hoops are the most popular type of tom hoops we use. They encourage open and long sustain.
*Excludes bass drum.
We use 3.0mm triple-flanged steel hoops on our custom snares because the increased thickness offers a slightly more focused attack as well as better durability.
STANDARD CLAW-STYLE WOOD HOOPS
Our Claw-style wood hoops give you a custom look with a vintage flavor. These wood hoops are lightweight and encourage a softer, warmer tone on toms and snares.
SUPERPLY WOOD HOOPS
Our Superply wood hoops help increase focus and shorten the attack of the drum head. They also give a unique look to your custom drums. We craft 36 ply tom and snare Superply hoops and 44 ply bass drum Superply hoops.
BUTCHER WOOD HOOPS
Our Butcher wood hoops feature wood ply collars that hide the lugs on a drum shell, creating a unique and custom look. These hoops feature increased focus and softer attack similar to our Superply hoops. We craft 42 ply tom and snare Butcher wood hoops and 52 ply bass drum Butcher wood hoops.
We exclusively use Evans heads on our drums - we have found that their Level 360 technology works best with our drums. Your drums come tuned up and ready to play with top-quality heads.
- TOM & SNARE BATTER HEADS: Our standard batter side tom and snare head is the Evans G2 Coated head. With 2-plies of 7mil film these heads offer superior focus and depth. Evans 360 technology ensures heads fit consistently to make tuning easier and more stable.
- TOM RESONANT HEADS: Our Standard resonant head on our toms is the Evans Genera Resonant. These head pair perfectly with 2-ply batter heads and produce great sustain and projection.
- SNARE RESONANT HEADS: Our standard snare side head is the Evans 300. With a single layer of 3mil film, this resonant head offers even, versatile tone halfway between dark and bright.
- BASS DRUM BATTER HEADS: All of our bass drums 20” and larger come with the Evans EMAD2 batter head. This 2-ply batter head with the Evans EMAD damping ring offer superior attack and punch while being incredibly durable.
*Our 18” bass drums come with Evans EQ4 Clear batter heads to help these small bass drums breathe a little. These heads offer a strong punch that doesn’t choke the drum.
- BASS DRUM RESONANT HEADS: All of our resonant bass drum heads are single ply with a fixed internal overtone control ring that helps focus the tone of our bass drums, making them sound massive and
- BASS HOLES: We offer a 6” reinforced bass drum hole in your resonant bass drum head making using a microphone for recording and live use more convenient. Adding a hole also allows more air to escape the drum resulting in decreased low end punch and sustain acoustically. We recommend no hole if you’re not mic’ing your bass drum often, as the drum resonates much better without.
Standard color choices include: Chrome, Brass, Black Nickel, Flat Black, White, Antique Brass, Satin Chrome
Custom color choices: unlimited power-coated colors
Hanging mount & Bracket:
We offer hanging mounts for your rack toms that match your kit’s hardware. These hanging mounts all come equipped with our SJC branded low profile brackets that will mount to any 10.5mm rod. Many of our drummers prefer to mount their rack toms on snare stands which works especially well on deeper than usual rack toms and toms with Butcher Hoops.
*Hanging mounts are not compatible on drums with Butcher Hoops.
Our own SJC branded brackets for floor tom legs and hanging mounts are sized for 10.5mm legs and rods. These are lower profile to reduce the mass added to the drums.
Heavy duty spurs:
Our Heavy Duty Bass Drum Spur is standard on all Custom Order drum kits. These are sturdy and include twist and pull spring loaded feet so you can hide or expose the spur anchor with incredible speed and simplicity.
Quick Drop Throw-off
The SJC Quick Drop Throw-off was designed to be quick and dependable, offering smooth action through each adjustment. A simple tug will effortlessly drop the lever and it stays locked in when the snares are engaged. All of our USA crafted snares whip with the Drop Throw-off and it is currently available in both chrome and black finishes.
We offer an unlimited option of stains, paints, wraps and veneers to help make your drums as unique as you.
We can custom print anything directly on the shells so the grain shows through, or over any of our laminates so you have as glitter or diamond backing behind your design. We have an amazing graphic design team who can illustrate anything you'd like - from custom colors, designs and patterns - the sky is the limit!
We have an incredible paint department who can do any satin or paint finish you could ever want - bursts, sparkle lacquers, UV glowing paints, you dream it, we build it!
Check out just some of our amazing finish options and inquire with your Artist rep for your custom design!